I have noticed several people following from outside the USA. So I would thought I would comment on the extremely complicated process of electing a President, and why over half the country ends up not approving of the Presidents performance.
I had a concept of America as one country before I ventured out of the Southwest. Taking a road trip, about 2 weeks, traveling from coast to coast, north to south, I felt like I had traveled to a different country every place I stopped. I began to realize that the United States is not as united as I thought.
Every state is, in many ways, it’s own country. Imagine Europe electing one Chief executive for all countries, impossible. In America, we select one chief executive for all 50 different countries every 4 years. This is no simple task. Some states are going to love the president, some will hate the president. That is why a presidential approval rating over 40% is rarely achieved.
The electoral college is used to balance power of dense population and state rights . The state of California with 40 million people would rule New Mexico with only 2 million people in any election. The electoral college makes all states relevant. It is rare but possible to receive less votes and be elected. GW Bush for example lost the popular vote and won the election. Yes, a majority of Americans hated W from the start.
I welcome any comments or corrections. Please comment.
From the Brave New World Republican/English translation dictionary:
1. Republican “liberty” means the freedom of the rich and powerful to enslave everyone else. Derived from the Confederate Doublespeak “liberty”,–“institutionalized slavery”.
2. Republican “pride” means “arrogance”. Derived from the Confederate Doublespeak “honor”, –“a strong feeling of resentment in an extremist minority if the majority refuses to be intimidated.”
3. Republican “negotiation” means “you give, we take”. Usually, Democratic agreement to capitulate on all points of disagreement is a precondition to “negotiations” with Republicans.
4. Republican “majority” means “the people who support us, regardless of how many or how few they are.”
5. Republican “the American people”–see: “majority”. It is important to remember that those who do not support the Republican party are not real Americans. This is true because it has been repeated ten million times.
I hope this information will help people to understand the apparent nonsense of Boehner’s statements. It is important to understand that today’s Republican leadership represents a very narrow spectrum of wealthy, powerful oligarchs, and necessarily reflects the view that the rightful role of most people in society is analogous to the role of medieval agrarian serfs. Therefore, when he says “we don’t have the votes”, he means “members of Congress who support my position are in the minority. Therefore, voting will not be permitted.