The US Attorney General, Eric Holder, issued a policy statement aimed at reducing the outrageous numbers of inmates of federal prisons. In this statement Mr. Holder, backed by President Obama, mentions that mandatory sentencing laws have been applied in a racially disproportionate manor.
It is the job of the Attorney General to decide what cases to prosecute and how to prosecute crimes. Decisions made in the past have produced outrageously large prison populations.
Reducing Federal prison populations would reduce income to the privatized prison industry, a GOP supporter. In the absence of any reasonable or logical argument Louie Gohmert (R-TX) defends his base, the private prison industry, by accusing Obama of “stirring up racial tension” and being “the president of division, of envy, of jealousy”. Obama should not have to apologize to Gohmert if Gohmert is envious and jealous of Obama. That is Gohmert’s personal problem and he should keep it to himself.
Division is caused by Gohmert, and the GOP opposition to the following.
- Jobs legislation,
- affordable health care,
- protecting the environment,
- funding education,
- developing alternative energies,
- ending federal Big Oil subsidies,
- equal rights for all Americans,
- equal treatment for minorities in the federal court system,
- universal background checks for firearm purchasers,
- protecting access to constitutionally guaranteed women’s health care,
- diplomacy abroad vs military interference,
- reducing the Federal Prison Population,
- et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
No one in the Obama administration is using “race bating”. Here is a clear example of what would be “Race Bating”. Obama’s first crime: Being President while Black.
PS Gohmert, seek professional help for those envy and jealousy issues.